The Gift of Tongues

Hello friends and slightly more importantly, family!!!

What a crazy week this has been. It was so awesome to hear from all of you and even to get an awesome video! The computers I am on don’t have sound, but I was still able to see! Maybe the other computers I go to will have sound. I will try for next week. This week has gone by so fast, I can’t believe that I am about to hit my 5 month mark. Time is just flying by so fast.

I will start with what I did last week after I emailed. Tons of missionaries went to a place called Korean BBQ. It is this buffet type place, but then you cook your own food at your table on a little grill in the center. It was so good. I also tried ox tongue while I was there. It was pretty good. I had such a good time. We also went to the temple which is always an amazing experience! I love going to the temple. It is funny how I can be on the complete opposite side of the world and go into a building where everything is “exactly the same”. I love it. Then we went to an outdoor market place called Ladies Street. It is just a street where there are tons of shops set up along the road and you can just go and bargain for practically any item you want. Our apartment all got matching soccer jerseys, so that was fun.

Sunday, we had church with ward council and all the other fun meetings missionaries go to. Our ward has been so awesome lately. They have come up with this huge plan on how the members can help the missionaries more and lots of other activities to help us. Our ward is small (only about 15 active priesthood holders, and only one is a young man), but they are all so powerful and our relationship with them is improving so much. A complete 360 degree turn from when I first got here. Tonight, one of the families is taking us out to dinner. They have been in Utah for a month, because their kids are going to UVU. But before that they took us out to dinner to, so they are being so amazing with the missionaries and I am so grateful for them. He is the old first councilor in the mission presidency before president hawks got here. They are an amazing family. He is now the young men’s president and his wife is the relief society president. They are such a strong family.

On Sunday I also got to teach a lesson all by myself in Cantonese. We had to go on splits because we had more investigators than missionaries. It was pretty scary, but I got through it. It is amazing how missionaries learn the language in Hong Kong, because the mission in and of itself is a bi-lingual mission. We have Mandarin, Tagalog, Cantonese, and English speakers. And there aren’t very many natives that are here, so it really is a miracle how we learn the language. God helps so much.

On Monday, we were finding in this park, I was on exchanges with another missionary who is even younger than me. I don’t know how we did it, but somehow we both survived. There was one point where I found this lady. She didn’t speak any English or any Cantonese. She only spoke mandarin. I don’t know how I did it, but somehow I talked to her in enough mandarin to get her phone number and name. I don’t even know what I was saying, but the lord was just putting a completely strange language into my mouth and words were coming out. After, the missionary that I was with said, “I didn’t know you spoke mandarin” I replied with a simple, “Neither did I”. It was such an amazing testimony builder of knowing that the gift of tongues is so real. I barely remember any mandarin from when I took the class, so I know that it was through God’s help that I talked with that lady.

Today for P-day, we went to an island called Cheung Chau. It is just this little tiny island in the middle of nowhere. We took a boat out to the island; it is the same type of boat that we rode in Mexico. This island is just this little fishing village. There are little houses all over the place. There are no cars either. Everyone just rides bikes around. If a family wants to ride together, the dad gets on the bike, and the wife and a kid sit on the cart that the bike is pulling. It was pretty amazing place, so much more peaceful than the crazy Hong Kong big city I am used to. There were also a couple Chinese temples that we got to go look at on this island. Lastly, and my favorite part, is the pirate cave. You hike up through this forest, on a little path. Finally, the trees clear and you are standing on these big rock cliffs looking over the ocean. Then you hike along the cliff walls, and then there is a little hole in the ground you can climb into. As you climb through this tiny cave, there are random ladders to use. There are some parts that I had to get on my knees and suck in really hard to get through. It is pitch black and you honestly have no idea where you are going. Luckily I had a small flashlight to give us some light. At the end of the cave, you come back out on the cliffs hanging over the ocean. It was pretty amazing. It was so much fun to go through, that we went through again. Then we went back, bought some frozen pineapple, and ate lunch along the shore. It was an amazing day, I am worn out from all the hiking, but it was so worth it.

So that is it for the week, it has been a crazy week, but one of the funnest. This week has been full of times when you lay down at night completely exhausted, and you feel like you are just living in a dream. Then you wake up the next morning and go at it all again. Sometimes it’s rough, sometimes it’s fun, sometimes you are so stressed out that you just want to pull your hair out, and sometimes you just laugh for no apparent reason. That’s mission life for you!

Love, Elder Bubba!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s